Girls… Confused Yet?
They are the bringers of life. They are our lovers and our friends. They have the power to easily make any man tremble in fear. They are; to this very day, the MOST CONFUSING creature known to man. They are our mothers; they are our sisters, our grandmothers, our cousins, and our aunts. They are all of these things, but most importantly, they are women.
Any age group of women was more than worthy for me to write this essay on, but in the end I chose to observe and write about the groups of women/girls that you would find in high school and college. I chose to observe these two groups because I wanted to figure out how girls in college are both similar and different from girls that are in high school. There was that reason, and also because these are the groups that I encounter most, and for me they are the most confusing.
To write my essay, I risked my very own life time and time again. I spent a whole week each with the high school, and the college girls; observing them in their natural habitats.
I wanted to start off slowly, so I first ventured into the heart of the high school girl’s community. Looking over my shoulder every second afraid of a sudden, malicious attack; I carefully walked around the sardine-packed like hallways. I noticed that the specimens mostly walked around in packs. Everywhere I looked I was surrounded. Laughing and giggling so loudly, I was amazed that anyone within ten feet of them wasn’t deaf. I dared to get within earshot of what some groups were saying, each pack’s conversations consisted of either who looked the best, what guy each thought was cute, what each were going to do this weekend, and/or what they wanted to do that day after school.
Next I made my way into their cafeteria. Here, I found large amounts of girls sitting together in what seemed their own “clicks”. I found here, all of the girl stereotypes that I could ever imagine. I saw the gothic, the nerdy, the sporty, the preppy, and the glamorous. It seemed as if each had their own section of the cafĂ© of which they owned. If another from a different click attempted to integrate with other groups, only a very few number of times were they successful.
I left the high school younglings behind, gathered up all of my courage, and found myself up against the deadlier of the two colonies. The college girls.
My observations for this group consisted of me going to numerous places where they were most commonly known to gather around the campus. Some of these places I conducted my studies from were, an interesting place called the Dinning Commons; where they conduct their eating. Another of my locations was called The Woodward Center. Apparently this is where females go to tone their bodies. The final observation site was a place called The Ely Center. Here I learned they either go to study at a library, or relax in this lounge-type area. I did this a number of times during the course of the week I was with them.
Just like their high school counter-parts, the college girls seemed to still have their own clicks, and walked around in packs. Only here the packs of girls were smaller, and less common. More and more girls in college were able to walk around by themselves, and be more independent. As I viewed this group while they ate the stereotypes were all still there. But unlike in high school, the groups were all integrated within one another. They seemed to welcome each other to sit with them, and happily all ate together.
After nearly escaping with my life from the college girls, I was able to gather up all of the information from all of my observations from both my high school escapade, and my college journey and came up with only one conclusion…
I STILL know nothing about women!
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment