Of all the people in Davis Hall the most interesting to observe is the group that is always outside or in the lounge. They are probably the most consistent group of people I’ve seen. No matter when I’m walking to or from the building I know that there will be some of them outside. I love it.
There are a few places where they seem to locate themselves while outside. One of their spots of interest is the benches. I noticed some variables on whether or not they decide to sit or stand exist. The most prominent thing is how many people there exactly are. If there is a few people out side they tend to sit at the benches, primarily the first one. But when they are outside by the masses, 6 or more they tend to stand more and converse and such. While residing themselves in this bench area I noticed there are some specific things they enjoy doing. The prominent activity would be talking among each other. There conversations include that of some things they do together at night like going out and such. Conversations about classes are sometimes thrown in the mix. Many of the people who come and hang out side Davis Hall tend to smoke cigarettes. It is almost such of a social time for all the smokers. Many times you can hear one ask another for a cigarette or if another has a lighter. Besides smoking at this bench area, another activity they enjoy taking part in is playing with a hacky sack. This tends to occur when larger groups are outside. This game gets pretty intense. In case you don’t know about this game, it includes a small round bean sack. The people stand in a circle and the sack is tossed by one person into the air using there body, but no hands. This method of keeping the sack up is used again and again by everyone else in the circle to try and keep the sack from touching the ground as long as possible. I noticed that this is one of their more favorite activities along with smoking.
Besides chilling around the benches they tend to flock around a small stair case on the building, which leads to a little cover under the roof scoop. This is the spot for if the weather outside is bad. One of my days of observation was one of those days. It had been raining consistently and I noticed people would go under this roofed area to protect them from the rain. It was smart thinking, considering they didn’t like the rain. In this location the activities tend to be the same as by the benches. Sometimes people sit on the stairs while other times under the roof scoop. They enjoy talking about life, music, school, and such things here too. Other events they do here are the same as before, like smoking and hacky sack. I did notice another thing some do enjoy in this area is skate boarding. I suppose since there is stairs and a high curb along a garden in this locale it is a prime spot to do some skate board tricks. I noticed mostly males take part in this. There are also times when those smoking in this area get warnings from I.S.O.’s or R.A.’s for smoking too close to the building, so they have to move by the benches again. Sometimes even though having been warned before some people smoke here. It is a smart place to smoke though on rainy days, because the rain can put out the cigarette or whatever is currently being smoked by person. I have also noticed that at times before they have just chilled in this area in the shade listening to music. There are a few ways they listen to music. Sometimes there is some one with a small radio, but other times I have seen a guitar or even some little conga drums. It seemed pretty chill.
Also, another place which they tend to locate themselves is in the Davis Hall Lounge. This is also a resort for those days when the weather is poor. Here they tend to do different things than they would do outside. I also noticed if inside, there are other people inside than would be outside. Since they are not allowed to smoke, skate board and such in this lounge there are other things they do to have fun and socialize. In this lounge there is a big screen television in which I noticed they enjoy watching movies or sports games on. Also there is a pool table and ping pong table. There are times when there are some intense matches going on at both these tables, and times when not even being used. While in the lounge I also noticed that the conversation level increases and there are more different conversations going on.
Everyone who hangs out side Davis Hall appears to be a friendly person with very little worries about what others think. They just lounge around outside doing whatever they want, whether its smoking or hacky sack. The biggest thing I noticed was how no matter who or when some one walks by the Davis Hall outside dwellers, some one says hi and a little conversation goes on between one another. It just shows how nice and care free some people can be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment