Paul Moses
English 101
3/20/08
Prof. Meek
Heaven Wherever I Look
The four seasons rotate like the circle of life all around the world. Some environments are affected more so then others. Similar to humans lives, we go through stages physically and mental. Walker Pond in Lakeville, Florida did not experience the seasons transforming the wild life. As the bright sun rises it seems like it’s my own personal alarm clock. Every summer morning one of the brightest stars in the universe shines right into my window at eight o’clock, screaming with its yellow rays. Telling me to get up and hit the lake. No matter what happens throughout the year that may get me upset or stressed out I always know the beautiful Walker pond will be waiting for my arrival every summer morning. It is so much easier to hop out of bed with a smile from ear to ear when I know the joy and relaxation that awaits me. When you can spend a whole day with nothing but a pair of basketball shorts on its hard not to be completely at peace.
As I walk through my grandparent’s backyard I feel the thick green grass gently tickle the souls of my feet. With a bag of sunflower seeds in one hand and a cooler of Gatorade in the other I see my fishing pole and tackle box waiting for me in the neon orange canoe. Like the focal point of a painting, no matter how long you look at the beautiful pond your eyes will always be drawn to the bright orange canoe. I lift the heavy canoe from the grass and gently place it in the water like placing a sleeping baby in its crib. The dark blue water ripples away from the canoe gently yet rapidly. When I step into the canoe I feel the cold plastic on my feet as I wobble back and forth like trying to balance on a skateboard. As I push off from the dock I go soaring into the water as if I was floating on the clouds. The clear baby blue sky is completely empty except the blinding yellow sun beaming down onto my bare chest. The gentle wind cools my body as it whistles through the trees surrounding the pond.
The colors that engulf the pond compete for my attention, at the same time they blend together to make the most beautiful natural collage on earth. The dark blue water gleaming in my eyes coordinates with the bright green shrubbery and trees that seem to help keep the water in its bed. The trees stretch as far as the eyes can see into the light blue sky that acts as the cover to my utopia, only letting the good in and letting nothing leave. The sun reaches higher and higher in the sky like it knows to nurture and give life to every inch of walker pond. From the gloomy brown and grey snapping turtles corner, to the middle of the water where the silver bellied bass jump into the air to catch a afternoon snack. I take in all the great sights of the pond but there is so much more. The drag of my line rapidly clicking because in has a fourteen inch bass on the hook, the different calls of the birds looking for some food, and the leaves on the trees being blown in every direction. All I can taste is the ranch flavoring from the seeds and the ice cold fruit punch Gatorade hitting my pallet and cooling my whole throat.
Like the change of seasons everyone experiences the different parts of life. When I’m at Walker Pond the environment is not affected by the seasons because it is always perfect. Whoever enters the confines of the pond feels invincible, like they can live happily forever. Walker Pond As the sun begins to set the skyline develops a pinkish hue, I head back disappointed the day is over yet satisfied with how the day went. The air chills; I look over the pond standing on the dock with goose bumps all over my chest. I think to myself, I will be back again real soon.
1 comment:
i think this was a real interesting essay. i liked how you were able to make me feel like i was right there with your descriptions. you have a few grammer/spelling errors. i think the meaning behind this at least from my point of view was that this was that one place where you could go and relax and nothing or noone else could disturb or upset you.
Post a Comment