Monday, January 28, 2008

Iraq

I am currently filing papers to become a United States Army Soldier. Many of my friends have become either Marines or Army soldiers in the past year and Im feel like I want the same. I have passed all my papers and done all the background checks. Although this is what I want, many people try to persuade me otherwise, saying things about how I will be in Iraq soon. In my opinion I feel that Iraq is a necessary step towards making this country a safer one. I am ready to swear in to the Army and serve my country, but will the country appreciate it? The troops catch criticism all the time about this war. The way I look at it, if they were not over there fighting for this country, then it would be all of the people complaining. I am joining the Army for many reasons. The most important reason above all the rest is, Im joining so the poeple i care about do not have to. Many people say Iraq and the war is complete bullshit. To these people I would like to say, you live in America, if you dont like it get the F*ck out. If you have any advice for me it would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your decision to join the military. I'm sure that it was a hard decision to make. Serving your country is an extremely noble thing to do, so I commend you for your decision. Without agreeing or disagreeing with anything that you said in your post, I did want to make one comment. You are absolutely right that this is america. However, if people disagree with your opinion on the war in Iraq, then saying, "this is america, if you don't like it, then get the F*ck out", isn't really the best thing to say. Since we do live in america, we all have the right to freedom of speech, and this gives someone the right to dissent/disagree with anything and everything that you might say. So, without being disrespectful to you, I might offer the advice that telling people who disagree to get the F*ck out, might not be the right thing to say.

choward3816 said...

I think that joining the army or any branch of the military is a great but hard decision to make. I have been through the ups and downs of being a "Army Brat" for 16 years of my life. It can be one of the most difficult things you will ever face in your life and you should make sure that you are ready to make that commitment. I just wanted to make sure that you are joining the military for your own reasons and not because all of your friends have. I commend you and I think it is a great choice. And also thank you for even thinking about going out and serving our country.

Professor Kevin Meek said...

As a military brat (my dad went to West Point), and a friend of several people in the military...I've obviously got the upmost respect for individuals that make this decision.

As your professor, I would also recommend continuing your education in some manner in addition to your military service. Utilize the many educational opportunities the military provides and never been satisfied with what you know, in any manner or in any situation...not just school, but in all aspects of life.

And finally, although I'd love to talk with you more about the same motto my dad likes to use - if you don't like it get the f*ck out...what struck me much more pointedly in your comments is your main reason to join - so that people you care about don't have to...that shows the type of maturity and character that will take you to great places.

Keep up the good work.